Final Draft: A Familiar One

    After about two months of remaking the film project previously presented, It's finally time to publish the remake!
After previously expressing that I felt my last film was worse than better, I took some final looks and attempted to edit, it only took me a few minutes before coming up to the conclusion it was probably better to just start another project.





 

Here is some of the feedback given by my peers on class when I presented the older film, and how I addressed them on this film.

Time - I was told the film was too long, and was recommended to shorten it by about 30 seconds at most. So, I've made a film that's shorter by about 20 seconds.

Show more - The previous film not only had a small amount of clips, but it did not show as much. The newer film from this post now not only has more clips, but also hints at the viewer more about what is occurring. On this film we can see that the mysterious individual shown on the clips is getting to go outside. While this happens, the shots will shift from this individual getting ready, to news articles that shows a series of murders (alongside a newspaper that hints at what started everything). As this happens, the music gets more tense, and sound effects were added to hint that the person was a killer about to go out and kill their final victim (who is hinted at by a tv before he turns it off).

It is a lot to digest, but the main purpose is that people are able to get a main idea of what's happening easily, while also being able to go back into the opening and re-watching the articles more calmly, absorbing more about the movie's story as they break down everything.

Not clear enough & Confusion - The last film was simply too vague. A person standing by a bridge or a road did not hint anything for what was happening. So the new shots will help viewers get a better idea of what the main theme and story is about.

Here are suggestions I received from peers on what to do and what I did

Newspaper headlines - I was recommended to make newspaper articles, whether online or physical, so I edited a newspaper article template for the video, and made two mock-up online articles. The newspaper articles put a lot of things into the viewer, but the main purpose is that viewers are expected to go back into the video and break down what is going on with the information given, if they want to. The newspaper articles are simply extra information that is more explanatory than the simplistic shots of the killer getting ready to work.

Directing Clarification - I was told that I would probably be better if I had more people involved. I asked my brother to help with camera angles and filming, and asked two different friends to help with sound and editing. They were all three credited on the film's ending. I would have asked more individuals for help - but the Covid-19 pandemic has made it very challenging for me to not only go outside, but to find people to help me out.

Too much work for a viewer - I have gotten rid of the concept of text as a whole on this new film while there is a shot playing, and kept it exclusively for the credits. The news articles also have text, but not only is not playing during a shot including the killer, which reduces work needed by the viewer to understand more, but it is also fully optional to read and just adds more flavour to the story.

Overall, I am much more happy with this film, remaking the film took more time than I would like to admit, but I am content with the end-result. About 95% of the film was remade, with the only thing staying in being the car crash sound effect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peer Review (Week 6)

Working with Premiere Pro